The peaceful solitude of Morro Bay beckons many a human and dog companions. The 576 foot Morro Rock towers over white beaches and is part of long ago extinct volcanoes known as “The Morro.” The Chumash Indians lived in the shadow of the Rock and have been dated as early as 47 centuries before Christ. In 1542, Juan Cabrillo named Morro Rock for its dome structure. In 1587, Pedro de Unumuno stopped and claimed the land for Spain.
The Rock for years was used for quarrying until 1968 the Morro Rock was declared State Historical Landmark No. 821. Now it is a refuge for Peregrine Falcons.
A walk-about along the outside path leads to the white sands of the beach and the harbor with cool breezes and expansive views. The bird life is prevalent, including herons, pelicans, black scoters. The area sightseeing includes Sam Simeon with the Hearst Castle and the beach area with the Elephant Seals.